Wednesday 29 August 2012

Min Xin Primary School


I studied in Min Xin Primary School only for a year (Primary 3) in 1997. 

I don't think any of you reading this blog have ever heard of Min Xin Primary School. It was located next to Yu Neng Primary School at Bedok North Street 3. It was closed in 2003 after merging with Yu Neng Primary School.

Not much is known about the early history of Min Xin Primary School; only that the school was started in early 60's by a group of Chinese businessmen to promote Chinese education in Jalan Bumbun Utara (now became the vicinity of Tampines Secondary School at Tampines Street 12). It was first known as Bin Sin Chinese School.

In 1982, the school was taken over by the government and the medium language was converted to English. Not only Bin Sin Chinese School was renamed as Min Xin Primary School; the school also moved to its new premises in Bedok North Street 3.



Today its premises are occupied by the Rumah Kebajikan Muhammadiyah (RKM). 

It's quite inconspicuous. If you passed the area, you might not even notice it. I'm not sure whether it's a temporary arrangement for RKM; and hence I really do not expect this landmark to be around for long.


Why I studied there only for a year? 

Actually in 1996 my family moved out to Johor. When I was transferred from Xishan Primary School to Min Xin Primary School, I stayed in my grandfather's house at Bedok North Street 3. It only lasted for a year because in 1998 my father transferred me again; to Marsiling Primary School. 


School Song:
Oh Min Xin School to you we sing
for our young minds 
you've helped to mould
for you've taught us to read 
and write
and to work hard 
to reach our goal
Oh let us move forward together
let us together strive
to become useful citizens 
and to build a better life

Our Principal was Mrs Vasughi Mani. Mdm Veronica Wu How Peng was the Vice Principal. 

Mdm Vasughi Mani

Mdm Veronica Wu How Peng

In Primary 3, my Form-Teacher was Ms Grethel Shepherdson. She was quite fierce. Many of the boys got slapped. I got slapped once; not on the face though, but the back of the head. Ever since Min Xin Primary School closed down, I have no idea on where she is now. 

Ms Grethel Shepherdson (standing second from right)

Cikgu Battaria binti Satmim (seating second from left)

My Malay Language Teacher was Cikgu Battaria binti Satmin. She was a kind and soft-spoken teacher. I still kept a book entitled Rezeki Ulat; a gift from her for Children's Day in 1997. The last time I heard, she's a teaching staff at Madrasah Alsagoff Al-Arabiah at Jalan Sultan. 


I can remember some of my friends from that era, they are Wan Chui Ting, Ser Shu Jie, Shahrir bin Ismail, Saifudin, Shahdan bin Hussin, Shahril bin Jumari, Briscoe Shamsul Qamar, Koh Chi Hao Jeffrey, Rizwan bin Kamaludin, Ridwan bin Rawi and Goh Qi Fan. 

My memories of Min Xin Primary School..:- 

I can remember brushing my teeth alongside my classmates during recess time. We used to rinse out of a colorful plastic mugs. 

By the way, do you know there's something interesting about the toothpaste?
 



Secondly, we freak out when our teacher told us to line up in two rows according to height and gender, then hold hands with the boy/girl beside us before walking off to the Music Room or Hall. 

Lastly, the worst punishment for not bringing our textbook is having to go to the neighbouring class to borrow a copy. And everyone would stare at you. 

10 comments:

  1. Your name sounds familiar and I recognise some of the boys from the picture. I was from class 3 Joy in 1997. haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm from Min Xin too but from a different batch. You hit some soft spots in your blog. It brings back fond memories of the school, esp the school song!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I studied in Min Xin Primary School in the 1980s and was also taught by Ms Grethel Shepherdson before. Thank you for writing this blog...These photos are really priceless as they brought back fond memories of my primary school days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi I'm from 1998-2002 batch before the whole school merged with Yu Neng. I must say seeing Cikgu Buang in that photo almost makes me shed a tear. I fondly remember he told us to line up and before giving us all malay kids $1 each during Hari Raya. He looked fierce but was actually quite a kind teacher. I hope he's still alive and well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey..this story i still remember..N the picture make me remind something .omg...its quite long past how many yrs..OUr form teacher is really ..hahaha well ...everyone has grown up now...3 happiness is my class too..N i guess ,u will found out who i am hahahha miz the school so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey..this story i still remember..N the picture make me remind something .omg...its quite long past how many yrs..OUr form teacher is really ..hahaha well ...everyone has grown up now...3 happiness is my class too..N i guess ,u will found out who i am hahahha miz the school so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i studied there too, when it was 2001 and then not many years ltr merged with Yu Neng.... miss the school.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for this post. We are of the same batch. But I think we are of the same class.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hahahaha.. i saw my name there.. im Briscoe Shamsul Qamar.. but i forgot everyones looks. Hahaha. Anyways i still hold a grudge against Mrs Shephardson for smacking my head with a text book!!! ����

    ReplyDelete
  10. I stayed at Bedok North St 3 Blk 530 between 1980 and 1993. Passed by the corner via feeder service 225 often but only recalled have the Yu Neng Primary School. You are right, it was inconspicuous. Today's news said the building is to be cleared for development, which leads me to this page.

    ReplyDelete