Monday 3 September 2012

My NS Life

The old BRTC at Jalan Bahar

If you asked me how I felt during my 2 years in National Service (NS), I would rather said it was fearful and 'siong' (tough).

I trust that training in the NS these days is much safer than my time. Also a lot of the punishments that the Commanders of my days dished out to us are no longer allowed.

My advice to the pre-enlistee? Don't try to 'take cover', don't 'keng' (always find a way to report sick) and waste your time in NS; and help the weaker ones.

I think the Ministry Of Defence has done a pretty good job now - with the colorful brochures, slide shows and walkabout to see the impressive facilities; and even hosted a lunch in the cook house - at reassuring the parents.

Inevitably, thoughts of my own enlistment in 2005 to 2007 came flooding back. I tried to recall what the feeling was like for me in those days just prior to my enlistment. However, it was too long ago and I just couldn't be sure. I think I felt dread and fear because we had heard so much about how 'siong' the training was. In those early days of NS in Singapore, lots of stories were floating around the grueling training. 

The old BRTC at Jalan Bahar 

In 2005, I was enlisted into Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF). 

Honestly, the first 3 months of Basic Rescue Training (BRT) Course was so 'siong'.

I always got into trouble with the Officer-in-Charge of the Charlie Company (at the old BRT Centre in Jalan Bahar) and my Platoon 9 Commander.

At one time, they even sent me into the Detention Barrack (DB) for 3 days. It was on the 3 February 2006.

After serving the 3 days 'hell in a cell', I became more focus on whatever I have to learn in the 3 months course and I considered myself lucky after being 'picked' by the Head Personnel Branch Of Civil Defence Academy, Captain Narindar Singh to attend the Provost Unit Course; even when he knows I already had a 'record' in my NS Profile.

On March 2006, I became part of the Provost Unit at the SCDF 2nd Division HQ - Tampines.

Less than a year, on 1 February 2007, I was promoted to become the Division's Provost-in-Charge or Non-Commissioned Officer (NCO). I proudly served this post for 1 year 10 months till I completed my Full-Time NS on December 2007.

Not only that, I was also selected to represent SCDF in National Day Parade 2006 and the Division in SCDF Day Parade 2006.

On 13 September 2012, I received the Good Service Medal from SCDF; an honor.

1 comment:

  1. my time of being a scdf provost is not that great. back in the days the GD boys is notorious. and ya i'm from the old brtc jalan bahar camp.

    ReplyDelete