Thursday 30 August 2012

Marsiling Primary School

Marsiling Primary School 
Image: Marsiling Primary School Facebook

Marsiling Primary School 
Image: Marsiling Primary School Facebook

Marsiling Primary School is just an example although its address stated Woodlands Centre Road.
I take this opportunity to share with you about my days in this school from 1998 to 2000 (Primary 4 to Primary 6).

Marsiling got its name from Lim Nee Soon. 

Lim Nee Soon 
Image: National Archives Of Singapore

Marsiling or Maxi Ling, is named by Lim Nee Soon after his hometown of Maxi Village (China) in Teochew prefecture. 

The Chinese word 'Ling' means hill; a well-known hill remembered by many older residents and some National Service (NS) men who underwent military exercises on this famous hill.

Prior to development, the area was mostly covered by plantations, interspersed with attap houses and forested area. 

When the Causeway was completed in 1923 linking Singapore with Tanah Melayu (now Malaysia), the once dense woodland made way for settlers who set up farms and more kampung. There were many rubber plantations in the area and older residents remembered that there were many orchids planted in the area.

In the neighbourhood, there was one main road with many connecting lanes; Kampong Sungei China, Lorong Marsiling, Hock Choon Road, Marsiling Avenue, Lorong Chikar, Genista Lane, Lorong Serindit, Lorong Chenangau and Lorong Salor Ayer, all of which do not exist anymore.

Marsiling Road used to be 4 kilometer long and used to include the present Woodlands Fire Station. The road had seen been redrawn.

The old Marsiling Road witnessed several important milestones including; the construction of Woodlands Railway Station in 1910, the Causeway in 1923, the Bukit Timah Expressway in 1985 and the Marsiling MRT Station in 1996.

Marsiling School as it was known in the early days was founded in 1958. It was the oldest school in the Marsiling estate; and provides instruction in English, Chinese and Malay language.

Previously, it was located along Marsiling Avenue, off Lorong Chikar (now became the vicinity of Marsiling Secondary School at Woodlands Street 13). 

Marsiling School; off Lorong Chikar 
Image: National Archives Of Singapore; 1958

Marsiling School; off Lorong Chikar 
Image: National Archives Of Singapore; 1958
 

Marsiling School; off Lorong Chikar

Marsiling School; off Lorong Chikar 

Marsiling School field



Marsiling School was the relocated to its present premise at Woodlands Centre Road in June 1986 and renamed as Marsiling Primary School. 


School Song:
Marsiling you are dear to us
Oh how we gaze with pride and joy
to a future bright as we go along
striving to work hard for our school
Marsiling we love you so
you are here to lead us through
may we always be loyal
tolerant and courteous too

In Primary 4, my Form-Teacher was Mdm Goh Soy Moi. Unfortunately I can't remember much about her, only that she treat us very well. 

Our Principal was Mr Ng Chor Hee. Mrs Melissa Liow was the Vice Principal. 

Our teachers 
Image: Marsiling Primary School Official Alumni Facebook

Cikgu Iswani binti Ali (middle)

Cikgu Iswani binti Ali
(standing second from left) 
Image: Marsiling Primary School Official Alumni Facebook

My Malay Language Teacher was Cikgu Iswani binti Ali. She was a kind and soft-spoken young lady. Till today I can't forget the moment she cried during our Mother Tongue lesson.

The sad news that shook me on 10 January 2011 was when I read an article in Berita Harian; Cikgu Iswani passed away peacefully at a very young age of 36. May Allah SWT blessed her soul. Aamiin. 

Miss Lee Ern Ern (sitting in the middle) 

In Primary 5 to Primary 6, my Form-Teacher was Miss Lee Ern Ern. She's a very good looking young lady who always make us stayed-back for extra lessons after school, so as to improve our English, Maths and Science.

My Malay Language Teacher was Cikgu Norlidah binti Ismail. She never talks much, but has her own way on teaching us. When attending to her lesson, she was like being charged with a megawatt of energy, moving swiftly from one end of the black board to the other. To the disappointment of everyone, she taught us only for a short term (until the quarter of 2000) and left the school to pursue her studies in Malaysia.

Faizal bin Mustafa, Rusydi bin Johari, Azlan, Andin Heffendi, Anwar, Halimun, Hemaraj s/o Barathan, Mohanansundram s/o Vengalastevi, Najib, Gavin Chew, Tan Shu Lin, David Ho Yu Kuang - among my best pal. 

Class 6G in 1999

My memories of Marsiling Primary School..:- 

Indeed there were many stories during my days in this school.. let me share some of the interesting ones. 

Mr Ng Chor Hee, he's a very kind Principal who served the school from 1996 to 2000. We know that he loves us a lot. He even treats the staffs, non-teaching staffs and students for breakfast and lunch in few occasion. But when it comes to rules and regulations, don't ever 'langgar' or else you 'kena caning'. had received 'public caning' twice in front of the staffs and students in our school's main hall when I was in Primary 5 and Primary 6. Reason? Caught playing soccer when lesson still on-going. 

Mr Ng Chor Hee (standing in the middle) 
Image: Marsiling Primary School Official Alumni Facebook 


Mr Ng also known to be the only Principal who made us sing so many songs during morning assembly. 

Through The Years, Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head, Somewhere Out There, Bright Eyes and If We Hold On Together - songs that was played and sung by us. 

The most touching moment is when Mr Ng personally entered our classroom (Primary 6G) to announced his retirement; and he sang us a song from Kenny Rogers - Through The Years. It touches our heart deeply that we all cried knowing that we had to say farewell to a 'loving and caring father'. 

Mrs Melissa Liow
(standing below the red arrow) 
Image: Marsiling Primary School Official Alumni Facebook

Mrs Melissa Liow giving speech 
Image: Marsiling Primary School Official Alumni Facebook

For Mrs Melissa Liow, she's quite strict too. Whenever I get caught for mischievous act, she will grab my neck and drag me to her office causing a ruckus in the process. 

Mr K Mohanan 
Image: Marsiling Primary School Official Alumni Facebook

We also had Mr K Mohanan - the school's Discipline Master whose name smack fear to the students. He was best known for his 'Regimental Sergeant Major' style. When heard his voice from far or see him walking around the school holding a long rattan cane, the whole campus transformed from a 'wet market' to a 'cemetery'; totally silence, not even a a single footsteps can be heard.

The most memorable moment are when I won Bronze medal in the Annual Athletic Meet (Year 1999) for the 4X100m and 4x400m relay - Boys 'C' Division; representing the Orange House.


Then, the moment when I came up second place in the Kuiz Bahasa Melayu (EM1 / EM2) in 2000.


Everyone played the music recorder during music lessons. Yeah, I hated it. I always pretended to blow when the whole class was supposed to play. I was afraid of blowing the wrong note, then having the people around me stare at me.  


Lastly, our Snow White Corner.. some fantastic teachers took 2 weeks to paint mural. I was there the whole time and I can tell you the teacher was just very good at painting. This place is where we played Pepsi Cola, Batu Seremban (five stones) and ‘catching’. 

Snow White Corner 
Image: Marsiling Primary School Official Alumni Facebook

13 comments:

  1. I was reminiscing my childhood and school days at MPS and chanced upon your blog! I was from the class of 2002. I fondly remember how we were made to sing songs in the hall before assembly.. something that Mr Ng Chor Hee implemented (if I recall correctly?) I was looking at the school's website and I'm glad to see familiar faces among the existing teaching staff! Marsiling you are really dear to us :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,im from year 1990-1996..whole siblings from mps.im the youngest..hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I suppose I am the youngest here. I am from year 2008 ~ 2013. I was the last class of Mr Yamalasamy the Indian male at the far right of the picture right below the school icon. Also did not know that Mr Mohan aka Superman was a fearsome teacher roaming with a rattan, he was the school counsellor from my time period and helped me nurture to who I am today! Unfortunately the school's recent redevelopment destroyed any sense of nostalgia left in me to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello from the future, I too am from the last class of Mr Yamalasamy. I was a problem child so he always had to deal with me which made my time with him quite memorable any idea as to how he is doing now?

      Delete
    2. Same Anon as above, did a quicksearch hes now teaching in Yishun Primary :)

      Delete
  4. I studied at Marsiling Pri Sch from 1969 to 1973. Very good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although it was only one year with Marsiling Primary School during 1987 N4A class. Still have memories till today and share with my boys. If anyone was from N4A during that period, will be good to touch base. I still remember classmate with Zi Zhong, Lee Wei Gang, Keong Poh Wah.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello all teachers and friends I'm Tan Wei Qiang from MPS back in 1997 to 2004 the fastest guy back in the day from the track and field think bakc I so miss those days back in school Wish that all the people that know me have a good life and can see you all one day

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ex Marsiling Student12 September 2020 at 13:17

    Im was a student of MPS from 1976 -1981. im looking for my form teacher Mr John Francis Lye Boon Yee. Form teacher of 5C 1980..one of the best teachers i had in my life..

    I still remember one day ..he caught me singing his favourite song " smokes gets in your eyes" he asked me where did i listen and knew this song.. i said it knew this song from my elder siblings.. he was stunned to hear that ..cz he said that it was his first time hearing it from his own student. He never knew that i was also a fan of the oldies.

    His last known address was at blk 36 marsiling drive ..if anyone knows where can i contact him. plse drop me a msg at my email... en2011enigma@gmail.com

    Thank you vvv much ..

    Marsiling Primary School ..memories are made of these

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funny I could find the post of whom i was in the same class! Hi Ridhwan, i am Su Juan - i think you would remember me ? Let me know how you and your pals are doing as I haven’t got in touch with either of those in the class.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember mr Ng...was in mps from 1997 to 2003

    ReplyDelete
  10. I m now 35yeara old. I remember Mr Ng ( principal ) , Mrs rajoo,Mrs prem my Tamil teacher, Mr Mohan, Mr Yama ( P.E teacher, Mr david Yeo , Mdm Ng or Mrs Ng, Mdm zanariya, Mrs Noor ( the fierce one ) ,Mrs Daniel I guess as well. Miss my days...there was mango tree behind my Tamil class, I remember snow white corner, well I was the naughtiest and innocent boy. 1999 was my end of year in that school.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I graduated from MPS in 1979. I have very fond memories of the old school compound. The school song was in Malay then. The dried prawn mee and mee rebus from the canteen were the nicest I had tasted. There was a big cage in the school garden which was home to birds, rabbits and monkeys! The field was exceptionally big and we had other areas in the compond to play and round around during recess.

    ReplyDelete