Friday 28 February 2014

Hasta La Vista, Buona Vista


This post is intended to capture the final journey that many who joined me on the last day of the operations of Buona Vista Swimming Complex today, 28 February 2014.

There were hundred in all that did, people from all walks of life who did.

Built in 1976, the wonderful Buona Vista Swimming Complex shuts its doors for the last time today and will be demolished to make way for more profitable ventures.



For many includes myself, the closure of this old pools was a sad occasion, particularly those with personal experiences at the pools.

For some others, it was a first journey to say that they have had that wonderful experience of a journey through the old pools that will be gone from the map of Singapore.

For all who went on the journey, it was also a journey to say a huge Thank You to the dedicated staffs who tirelessly kept the pools running. 

For me, I frequented Buona Vista Swimming Complex thrice a month since the day my father was deployed there in 2003. I'd catch a bus down from Bedok, stopped at Holland Drive, then walked up to the pools.

As for my father, it's indeed a tearful departure from Buona Vista Swimming Complex.


The sunny Friday morning provided an appropriate setting for what now seems like a distant dream, one of a forgotten time and certainly one of a forgotten place.

As my father said:- 
"Good morning tomorrow. I will wake up, and times has slipped away. And suddenly it's hard to find, the memories I left behind." 

No comments:

Post a Comment